This is a work in progress. Please be aware that there may be errors or incorrect translations, including spelling or transcription errors.
If you'd like to become a wiki editor and participate in the project, please send an email to Suzy, and include your desired user name in the email. You can also send suggestions for corrections, new words to be added, or compliments too!
Hollow back (plural Hollow backs)
- "A feature of the spine in which the covering material is not adhered to the spine-folds of the bookblock or to the spine linings, but is able to arch away from the spine-folds as the book is opened."
- Synonym: false back
- Antonym: tight back
Hollow back binding. Image from page 43 of "Report of the Committee on leather for bookbinding" (1905). Via Flickr Commons. No known copyright restrictions. https://flic.kr/p/oepT8E
- ↑ Language of Bindings Thesaurus. Contains information from Language of Bindings Thesaurus which is made available under the ODC Attribution License.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Kuhn, Hilde. Wörterbuch Der Handbuchbinderei Und Der Restaurierung: Von Einbänden, Papyri, Handschriften, Graphiken, Autographen, Urkunden Und Globen in Deutscher, Englischer, Französischer Und Italienischer Sprache. Stuttgart: Hettler, 1969. Print.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Crespo Nogueira, Carmen, ed. ICA Handbooks Series : Glossary of Basic Archival and Library Conservation Terms : English with Equivalents in Spanish, German, Italian, French and Russian. Munchen, DEU: K. G. Saur, 2010. ProQuest ebrary. Web. http://site.ebrary.com.ezproxy1.lib.asu.edu/lib/asulib/detail.action?docID=10591270
- ↑ Macchi, Federico, Livio Macchi, Milena Alessi, Michel Wittock, and Piccarda Quilici. Dizionario Illustrato Della Legatura. Milano: S. Bonnard, 2002. Print.