This is a work in progress. Please be aware that there may be errors or incorrect translations, including spelling or transcription errors.
If you'd like to become a wiki editor and participate in the project, please send an email to Suzy, and include your desired user name in the email. You can also send suggestions for corrections, new words to be added, or compliments too!
Grain direction (uncountable)
- "The predominant alignment of fibres in one direction in a piece of organic material which allows it to bend or fold more easily along it than across. Grain will be found therefore in all types of timber and also in machine-made paper. The direction of the grain in a piece of wood runs vertically up the trunk of the tree and in most bindings with wooden boards the grain runs vertically in the board, but horizontally-grained boards will occasionally be found. The direction of the grain in a piece of machine-made paper runs along the length of the continuous sheet as it emerges from the papermaking machinery."
- Synonym: paper grain
- ↑ Language of Bindings Thesaurus. Contains information from Language of Bindings Thesaurus which is made available under the ODC Attribution License.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Crespo Nogueira, Carmen, ed. ICA Handbooks Series : Glossary of Basic Archival and Library Conservation Terms : English with Equivalents in Spanish, German, Italian, French and Russian. Munchen, DEU: K. G. Saur, 2010. ProQuest ebrary. Web. http://site.ebrary.com.ezproxy1.lib.asu.edu/lib/asulib/detail.action?docID=10591270
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Kuhn, Hilde. Wörterbuch Der Handbuchbinderei Und Der Restaurierung: Von Einbänden, Papyri, Handschriften, Graphiken, Autographen, Urkunden Und Globen in Deutscher, Englischer, Französischer Und Italienischer Sprache. Stuttgart: Hettler, 1969. Print.
- ↑ Langwe, Monica. 'Papper Och Stygn'. Stockholm: Hemslöjdens Förlag, 2016. Print.