- The art or process of polishing, lettering, and embellishing the spine, covers, insides of the covers, and sometimes the edges of a book, as well as inlaying, onlaying, varnishing, and otherwise decorating and/or protecting the finished bookbinding.
- Danish: please add this translation if you can
- Dutch: please add this translation if you can
- French: finissure (fr)
- Italian: doratura (it)
- German: Vergoldung (de)
- Spanish: please add this translation if you can
- Swedish: Förgyllning (sv)
- Roberts, Don., et al. Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books : a Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology. Library of Congress : For Sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1982.
- Macchi, Federico, Livio Macchi, Milena Alessi, Michel Wittock, and Piccarda Quilici. Dizionario Illustrato Della Legatura. Milano: S. Bonnard, 2002. Print.