From Multilingual Bookbinding Dictionary
Jump to navigation Jump to search


  • Part of speech: noun
  • Definition: An 18th century style of hook decoration, usually in gold, consisting of a combination of elliptical scrolls of slightly shaded leafy character joined to clusters and horders of great richness, resembling lace, and pointing toward the center of the cover.1

Related terms[edit]

Gold tooling


Language Translated term Source of translation (if exist) Sense of translation / notes
dansk/Danish kniplingsmonster preferred
Deutsch/German Spitzenverzierung preferred
español/Spanish decorado en forma de encaje preferred
italiano/Italian merletto preferred
Nederlands/Dutch verguld randwerk preferred
svenska/Swedish dentell preferred



  1. ^  | | | | | |  Roberts, Don., et al. Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books : a Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology. Library of Congress : For Sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1982.