From Multilingual Bookbinding and Conservation Dictionary
Jump to: navigation, search

This is a work in progress. Please be aware that there may be errors or incorrect translations, including spelling or transcription errors.

If you'd like to become a wiki editor and participate in the project, please send an email to Suzy, and include your desired user name in the email. You can also send suggestions for corrections, new words to be added, or compliments too!




  • "The exterior juncture of the spine and covers of a (usually) case-bound book. Although the term "joint" is often used to indicate the internal juncture of the board paper and fly leaf of a book, the more appropriate term here is hinge."[1]
  • "The juncture of the spine and boards on the outside."[2]


Related terms

French joint, hinge, groove

Translations for "joint"

  • Latin: (translation needed)


  1. Roberts, Matt T. and Don Etherington. "Joint". Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books, A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology. Conservation Online, 1994. Web. 2 September 2014.
  2. Greenfield, Jane. ABC of bookbinding : a unique glossary with over 700 illustrations for collectors & librarians. New Castle, DE : Oak Knoll Press ; New York, NY : Lyons Press, 1998.
  3. 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Glossary on paper restoration. Goethe-Institut Hongkong, 2013. Web.
  4. 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Nielsen, Torben. Vocabularium bibliothecarii nordicum. København, Bibliotekscentralen, 1968.
  5. 5.0 5.1 Gnirrep, W.K., J.P. Gumbert and J.A. Szirmai.Kneep en binding. Koninklijke Bibliotheek, 1992.
  6. Smith, Shelagh and Hélène Francoeur. Translation of Book Arts Terms, from English to French. Canadian Bookbinders and Book Artists Guild, n.d. Web. 2 September 2014.
  7. 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Muzerelle, Denis. Vocabulaire codicologique: répertoire méthodique des termes français relatifs aux manuscrits, avec leurs équivalents en anglais, italien, espagnol. n.p, n.d. Web. 2 September 2014