Band (plural Bands)
- "The cords or thongs on which the sections of books are sewn."
- "Strips of reinforcing material (usually leather) which extend across the spine, or spring-back, and onto the sides of a book, usually a stationery binding. The bands may be placed on the boards before covering, in which case they are called "underbands," or over the covering material, where they are known as "overbands""
- Dutch: ribben (nl) ?
- French: nerfs (fr)
- German: Bund (de)
- Italian: nervo (it), cordone (it)
- Russian please add this translation if you can
- Spanish: costilla (es)
- Roberts, Don., et al. Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books : a Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology. Library of Congress : For Sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O., 1982.
- Macchi, Federico, Livio Macchi, Milena Alessi, Michel Wittock, and Piccarda Quilici. Dizionario Illustrato Della Legatura. Milano: S. Bonnard, 2002. Print.